I suppose it's about time for another update. :) We've been pretty busy! I started back up with school this term. Statistics is NOT my favorite class so far. Fortunately, it will be over soon, and I never have to take another math class. Yay! One of the reasons that I haven't posted in 1 1/2 months.
Speaking of school, I can't believe my kids have less than 2 weeks left! They get out May 26th. Crazy. Then they start back up in August. I know it's the same number of weeks of summer vacation, but for some reason it feels shorter this way.

We've been pretty busy the last month. April 2 John played the National Anthem with his Symphony at a Phoenix Suns game. Since I posted the video on Facebook, I won't repeat it here, but that was pretty cool to go watch. The kids all had a good time. We were up in the nosebleed seats for the game, and I tell you what, it's a little scary up there. It's super steep going up the rows, and I felt like if I tripped, I was going to fall over the rail. I was ok sitting, but I did not want to stand up. Justin was terrified and spent the first half snuggled into his dad not looking up. He felt a little better after halftime when we spent $5 on a cookie for him. :)

April 15-27 Devon and James came to visit! Since the kids and I were all in school, we couldn't venture very far during the day, but we did have some fun. We went to the zoo, where everyone got to pet some stingray's, we explored a new park I hadn't been to before, did some shopping, went out to eat, and hung out by the pool. Oh, and we went scorpion hunting at night. The Arizona Bark Scorpion is nocturnal, so you have to catch them at night. (Hunting is really the best way to keep the population down) If you hunt them with an UV light, they glow in the dark. It's kinda cool and kinda terrifying at the same time. The kids would keep the light on the scorpion when we found one so I had my hands free to catch it with some foot long tweezers and stick it in a jar. Scorpions can climb anything except glass. So I would collect them all in a jar and then spray them with poison to kill them. Then in the morning, I would dump them out and the birds will find them and eat them. We did find 2 in the house when Devon was here, so I spoke to the spray guy the last time he came and he put some extra scorpion stuff out and I haven't seen any since. I don't want to scare anyone from visiting, so I will just say that while it's possible that you might SEE a scorpion, your chances of getting stung are extremely small.
Devon visit pics:








The cool park. Notice the Eiffel Tower structure in the back for kids to climb. Awesome!

The playground has this really cool spongy surface. It's great because it's safe when kids fall, and there's no mess or splinters.

Scorpion catch.



After Devon left we took a trip to the Grand Canyon. We figured that it was a good time to go before school got out. It would be less busy. We drove up on a Friday and back on Saturday. It was incredible! And not what I had expected. Mom, John and I agreed that you would really like it. It's very Sunriver-esque. The canyon itself is pretty dry, but the area all around is forest. We took the kids hiking along the rim trail. (It's flat and paved, so it's not really hiking, more like strolling) We did a 2.5mile section, but you can do as much or as little as you want. There are also hop-on, hop-off shuttles coming past every 10-15 minutes on different routes. There are hotels, and restaurants, and shopping. I guess with 5 million visitors every year, there has to be some amenities. What really surprised me though, was the lack of railings along the canyon cliff. They tell you to keep at least 6 feet back, but there is nothing preventing you from getting closer, or jumping off the cliff. It's funny that John and I are totally opposite in our height fears. He has no problem climbing ladders and getting on the roof, but does not like cliffs or bridges. I will not ever get on the roof, but I'm totally fine otherwise. But anyhow, the Grand Canyon is an awesome place, and definitely worth going to see. It is at 7100ft elevation, so take it easy.
Look how tall John is! Currently 5'7" and still growing. :) I am the only person not terrified in this picture.

Cute little squirrel. :)



Thunderstorm moving in. So pretty.


On the way home, we took the scenic route through Sedona. Gorgeous! Another place Mom would love. Reminds me of Sisters, OR. The population is approx 10,000, and it's very touristy. The main street has TONS of little shops to poke your head into and do some shopping. The red rocks and dark green pine trees make a beautiful setting. It's over 6,00ft elevation so it doesn't get too hot in the summertime.

I tried to take some photo's to show how green and beautiful it is, but it's hard from a moving car. :




Not like us. We've already had a few days over 100 and the pool has warmed up. So quickly that I had to check the pool heater to make sure it hadn't accidentally been turned on. John and Jackie are loving it. Justin, not so much. He doesn't know how to swim, so he's scared, but he won't get in the water and let us teach him, so we're at an impasse. John is learning how to breathe while doing the crawl stroke so he can pass the swim test for his expedition later this month, and Jackie now puts her face in the water and swims away. With 2 doing pretty well, we are now lasering our sights on Justin to force him to learn to swim. Water safety is very important. And he will miss out on a lot of fun times with his friends here if he can't swim.
If you look really carefully in the bottom left corner, you will see John swinging his feet. All my kids tan really well, so they have nice dark legs. Except they also wear shoes all the time so they have bright, white feet. It makes them look like they're wearing socks, even when they aren't. :)


Right now we are re-doing the kitchen countertops. Getting rid of the corian, and replacing with granite. Devon's the only one who got to see the old stuff. Haha. I'm super excited, and I thinks it's looking really good. I will post some more pictures when it's finished. Here is the old kitchen.





Justin's grade did a wax museum project. Everyone had to pick a famous American to research, and put together a poster and costume, and pretend to be a wax figure that would come to life when you stepped on their button. Justin chose Nikola Tesla. :) He was awfully cute. He talked really quietly, but he did it! It was fun to wander around and see who everyone chose.


I think that's about it. Sorry this was so long. That's what happens when you put it off, I guess.

Comments

Kelly said…
I love it! So fun to see pictures. Justin looks awesome. Have you researched how to help kids who are afraid of swimming?

Looks like life is treat for you all fine. Love ya!!
Gary said…
Thanks for the update. I was wondering though, do you think letting birds eat poisoned scorpions is healthy for the birds?
I wondered about the bird health too, Dad.
So fun to be a Beckstead! Thanks for the post, love seeing what ya'll are up to.
thebeckstead5 said…
I don't know. It's the same stuff that the spray guy puts around the house. It's supposed to be non-toxic to people, but no one said anything about birds.

Popular Posts