Laundry

So I just wanted to share with everyone,

I have been reading a lot about soap nuts (or soap berries) lately. A couple of weeks ago I finally decided to try some. So far I have washed 5 loads, including 2 that Jackie was sick all over, and I have been pleasantly surprised. Clothes are clean, no scent. It's really easy too. Just fill up the muslin bag, that comes with, and toss it in the wash with the load. Use until the berries are gray and mushy (abt 6 loads for me). They are very low sudsing so they can be used in HE washers.

Cost I thought was pretty good. I purchased mine here . The bigger the bulk, the better the deal. I got the 2lbs for $38. Then I compared that to the Tide I usually get. If I were to purchase a larger amount of soap nuts the cost per load would go down.

Soap nuts $38/320+ loads = $.11/load
Tide powder $10.99/80 loads   (sale price, normally $16.99) = $.13/load
Tide liquid $10.99/64 loads (sale price again) = $.17 load

Tide regular price powder  $.21/load
liquid $.26/load
Bearing in mind that the load number listed on the box is for the smallest, least soiled load. I have never even come close to getting that many loads out of a box.
Also 2lbs of soap nuts is a pretty small bag that I can put on top of my washer. Instead of filling up my garage with bulky boxes.

Lastly, because the soap nuts use saponin instead of detergents, they are good for sensitive skin. So if your kids have any kind of eczema or allergies this would be good. The berries are also compostable, so no waste!

Just thought I would share my experimentation. I will keep washing my clothes for the next few weeks and see how it goes as the kids get really dirty. Although there is nothing stopping me from putting some stain release or oxyclean in the laundry also.

Comments

Kelly said…
I'm glad you've tried it. I've been thinking about it. I'll have to look into it again!

Popular Posts