My First Race

On Nov, 14 I ran my first 5K. In Aug some of my friends and I decided that we were starting to get too out of shape and needed to exercise more. (I personally could not run to the end of my driveway and back without getting winded. Sad:( ) So twice a week we would go to the elementary school and let our kids play on the playground while we tried to jog around the track. In the beginning it was mostly walking. However I figured I was not going to improve unless I had a goal to work for so I had John make up a training program for me to keep me motivated. I didn't find out about this race until about 2 wks before, so that 2 wks, I really had to work hard since I had never run 3 mi. The furthest I had run was 2, and I felt like I was being tortured. So race day was my longest distance ever. My goal was just to finish the race without walking. Here are my results.

Time: 32:47
Pace: 10:35
Place: 2nd (25-29)
7th overall women

I feel like I did a really great job! Running has pretty much shut down for the winter, so I won't have another race until spring. That will be kicked off by the Pear Blossom Festival in April, so I have time to train. My next goal is to knock about 7 minutes off my time.
I think I'm going to stick with the 5k's for 2 reasons. 1: I really don't like running that much, and 2: I don't have the hours that it would take to train for something longer.

Anyhow, the race was lots of fun and I'm glad I did it. Here are some pictures that John took that day-





Before the race started. It was really cold that morning!






On the course. We were at All-Sports park running through the trails. It was soooo beautiful!





Crossing the finish line!!!





Me and the kids at the end.

Posted by Picasa

Comments

Kari said…
Good for you! It's so fun to hear of friends running. I wish I had more that liked to run up here. I need running partners at night!

Popular Posts