Service

So this week I have been doing a lot of thinking. (Shocking, I know!) I have been called as the enrichment leader in our ward and have been spending some time thinking about what I want to do. I want to get on a schedule for the different types of enrichment ie: Humanitarian, Home, Personal etc. so that we make sure that we have everything during the year. So for example, in Jan we would do a home craft or something, Feb would be spiritual, Mar would be humanitarian service and so forth. Just make sure everything is covered.

But it struck me earlier in the week that although we spend a lot of time doing humanitarian stuff for the church, we don't seem to get out in the community very much. Now, don't get me wrong, I think it's great that we make hygiene kits and t-shirt dresses and other things for disaster relief, but I think it's equally important for us to be doing things for our own town. Especially since I see other churches doing all kinds of things. If we sit in our homes and the baptists are running a soup kitchen, who are the better Christians? We talk about taking care of our brothers and sisters, and it's true that when we pass out disaster supplies we pay no attention to creed, but what about our brother who lives under the local bridge? How have we helped him today. I think that the members need to be more active in their community outreach and not leave it to the other churches.

I will be the first to admit that I am scared to go to the Womens shelter and volunteer my time. And so I make excuses for why I can't go right now. But I don't think the Lord accepts excuses. I think that when I get to the other side, he's going to ask me why I didn't help those in need. And I don't know what I would say to that. Scary thought. So I have been thinking about what we sisters could do through enrichment that would really make a difference in our communities and I have some ideas that I need to discuss with our stake leaders. Imagine what it would do for missionary work if we were all more visible in the community. If people in need came to us for help instead of someone else.

Our leaders have talkted about every member being a missionary. I have a hard time just striking up a gospel conveersation with people, even my neighbors, (and perhaps especially my neighbors!) I can do missionary work through my service, but only if others can see me.

Comments

Kelly said…
Sounds like a great (busy) calling and you'll do fabulous. Is it a new calling?

Do you have Enrichment every month? I thought we were on a quarterly system.

I think the clothing exchange sounds like a great service.

Have fun!

Popular Posts