Winter Garden!!!

John has finished one of the raised beds. Yeay!!!! (Now only 5 to go :) ). I am so excited to be able to start growing my own vegetables. This year I was only able to start some lettuce, spinach and carrots mostly. And some onions. Next year I should be able to do a lot more.


We decided to make the beds out of cinder block. It will last forever, the dirt won't put pressure on the corners, and it gives me a seat when I'm working.

Poor John had to dig down almost a full block height into the hill to get the bed level. Since the soil is not even really soil, just decomposed granite, he had to break it up with a pickaxe and then shovel the dirt away. It was really tough and slow going. So he wants to take a week off before starting the next one. I can't blame him!
Here is the close-up of my spinach and cauliflower. Yummy! I can't wait!!!

In other news, we are all doing fine. Little John is starting to talk about Halloween. Yikes! Is it that time already? I am going to be helping in his classroom tomorrow. Should be fun. My friend Angela has a son in the same class, so we are going to trade watching the young ones while the other is in the classroom. He loves kindergarten. He has a lot of friend in his class already. Tomorrow he gets to ride the big bus home all by himself. He's been talking about it all week.

Jackie has been climbing the ladder to the boys bunk bed recently. She can't get down yet when she's on the top, but if she's on the ladder, she can get up and down pretty well. She is definitely the one that I have had to watch the closest. My little monkey. She's also been pretending to be a kitty lately and crawls around saying "Meow, Meow." It's very cute. She also does a hilarious chicken impression that brings tears to our eyes.

Justin is doing really good at prechool. I was worried about him going to the big kid school this year, but he is just fine. It's probably the first time that I haven't had to get him used to the experience for a month before he would let me out of his sight. This time he said goodbye and walked away on the first day. I told his case worker that we would need to meet again really soon and set some news goals for him as he has really improved this summer. Go Justin!!!

Comments

Kelly said…
Awesome! That's very exciting.
I like the garden. I think they'll all look really nice together.

I remember Brennan enjoyed pretending to be a kitty - still does actually. He's really into the dog thing right now. He's been wearing socks on his hands all day (even when it's stinkin' hot outside & in) which I guess is to represent paws. He's getting really into it, fetching sticks and everything. Don't you love children's pretend play?
Papasilas said…
You'll have to ask Derrick about the soil at our house. It's called caliche and is pretty much like the decomposed granite you describe--except the decomposed part. The worst part about it, though is that our rasied bed attempts were futile. Stupid bunnies ate everything--even after we went to great lengths to protect everythin. I root for Farmer McGregor now.

Popular Posts