Weekend

So as everyone knows, this last weekend was conference. And what a wonderful conference it was. I always come away feeling so inspired and wanting to do better in my life. I especially love listening to all the speakers testimonies. As they are talking about how they KNOW the Church is true, they KNOW Joseph Smith was a prophet they KNOW the Book of Mormon is true, I start to remember again that yeah, I know it too. Not that I ever doubt per se, but sometimes I need a little reminder of just how strong my testimony really is. It just gets crowded out by daily life. I need reminding that I can take the time to share the gospel with my friends. I need their example to help my testimony become so strong that I am not afraid anymore. I think that's why sometimes we don't share the gospel. We BELIEVE the gospel is true, but we don't KNOW it's true. We may not even realize we have these doubts, but they are there. In the Book of Mormon, Alma believed on the words of Abinadi. Because of his newfound testimony he spoke to King Noah and the other priests and was forced to flee for his life. But even that didn't stop him, he continued to teach and baptize at the Waters of Mormon. One of the doctrines that he talks about is experiencing a mighty change of heart. His heart was changed and he could not keep silent.

Have we experienced a mighty change of heart? While a testimony is a personal thing, I really belive that when a person has experienced this, it shows. The Spirit of the Lord has changed them fundamentally on the inside and they have to share the gospel, and read their scriptures and visit the temple and all those other things. It just becomes a part of them. Like Alma, and like the Nephites of King Benjamin who "had no more desire to do evil, but to do good continually." You can look at that persons face and in their eyes and see straight down into their soul.

For me, I have found that a change of heart does not come just because you are doing all the things you are supposed to. You need to be doing those and asking the Lord earnestly to grant you a change of heart. It's not something you can develop, it's something that is granted to you when you seek it "with real intent". But for all of us, it is certainly something worth striving for. I suppose it goes without saying that I have not had a mighty change of heart yet. While I do know the church is true and I would not trade it for anything, it has not yet become so much a part of me that it permeates everything I do and say. Having that change of heart is the most important goal I have, and I pray everyday that the Lord will give it to me.

Comments

Popular Posts